U6-U8 Lesson plans for the next 10 Practices
Click on this link: U6 Lesson Plan
Additional Drills for U6-U8: (Click links below)
Coaching U6 Players
Watching U6 players in a game of soccer is a great experience and as a coach you need to understand the players more then you do the sport at this stage. After all; soccer is a team sport and U6’s are not used to sharing. In a developmental game you will have 6 players, 2 goals and 1 ball; suddenly every player thinks the ball is theirs and you now have a new game called “Beehive Soccer”. The players swarm on the ball and head towards a goal and yes; they may be heading towards the goal with the ball, which they should be defending.
So How Does a Coach Teach a U6 Player?
As a Coach the first thing you need to understand is that your players are 6 years old. I know this sounds silly, but you would be surprised as to how many coaches come into this thinking they need to teach a U6 player everything in the first season so they can follow in the footsteps of a Michael Owen, Alexi Lalas, or Pele.
The best way to coach a U6 team is to create a practice that incorporates a lot of FUN activities/games. If you do this they will learn without even realizing it and your job as a coach will become much easier.
Check with your Director of Coaches and/or your State Association for information on Novice or Youth Module Clinic’s that they may be running in your area.
Until then you are free to view our activities for U6’s which you can incorporate into your practice sessions.
A Typical Practice Session
A U6 Practice Session should only be held once a week and it should be no longer then 35 – 45 minutes.
- Start with some warm up activities which should incorporate movement (Dynamic Stretching), with and without the ball (approx. 4 – 6 minutes)
- Plan for some SIMPLE, but FUN games and activities for individual players with and without the ball (approx. 4 – 6 minutes)
- Make games more challenging but not to complex (approx 6 – 8 minutes)
- NOTE: Remember not to make things to complicated…..they are ONLY 6
- Progress to 2 players working together (approx 8 – 10 minutes)
- Play 3 v 3 soccer as you would play in a game on game day (approx. 10 minutes)
- Cool down with Dynamic Stretching (approx. 3 – 5 minutes)
- U8 coaches, use the U6 link first for the first couple practices to see where their skill level is. If these are too simple please let me know and I’ll post new practices. But if your kids can’t perform these skills then this is a good starting point.
- Print the lesson plans and keep in your folder
- Review each lesson plan before you get to practice & show up early to set up. (Always remember, you need to be prepared for each of your practices. Otherwise you cut your kids short.
- Come to each practice motivate and provide lots of encouragement. Positive re-enforcement is your best friend.